museum sign
Collection Additions 

Central High Museum
401 Thomas Jefferson Hwy
Charlotte Court House, VA

Open Saturdays
11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Visit the Central High Museum!
Support the Museum with a donation!
P. O. Box 514, Charlotte C. H., VA 23923
museum sign 

Return to
Charlotte County
Museum Page

training school box
The original Charlotte Training School opened on February 12, 1928.
$7,000 to build the school was raised through community effort.
 You need training button
Jeffress and Curtis
 Ms. Jeffress
 Daniel RagsdaleMartha Ragsdale
David Bruce 
Rev. J. Murray Jeffress
Mrs. Elizabeth Smith Curtis

Mrs. Zena Wilson Jeffress


Mr. Daniel Mildrich Ragsdale
and Mrs. Martha Ragsdale
The second school, Central High
School, built in the late 1930s,
was initiated with funds donated by
Amb. David K. E. Bruce
Central High Museum has materials available for research and reference including old yearbooks, newspaper clippings and notices, copies of publications by Central High graduates, and the book by David L. Hancock of news concerning African Americans, compiled from the Charlotte Gazette, May 1873 - December 1900. Group photo

Mrs. Bessie H. Lowe, 1st row, 4th from right.

here for larger image.

science case 
 baseball uniform
Drum & Bugle Corps in front of the school.
Central band
Purple heart

The Shepperson family sent six
brothers to serve our nation in
World War II.
 Jeffress bust
Bust of Rev. Mr. J. Murray Jeffress, donated by
Mrs. Bessie H. Lowe and
Rev. Dr. Richard H. Lowe.
 Ag bldg
A class in the shop building at CHS.
 Kids on stage
Elementary students practicing for a performance on the CHS stage.
 class of 1963
Class of 1963
The CHS cafeteria in 1943.
  Art work by former
Central High students.
biology student
A Central High biology student in 1943
math class
Mr. Cooley's math class in 1943.
Moses Hall 
Home Office of the Grand United Order
of Moses in Charlotte Court House.

Return to
Charlotte County Home Page

Return to
Museum of Charlotte County Page